Background and Challenge
The Shredwich team’s new restaurant concept was a delicious mouthful… a contemporary, socially responsible, sustainable, fast-casual restaurant… serving hot, hand-shredded, all natural meats and poultry oven-roasted in-house… “created to order” with fresh organic toppings… served in baked ciabatta sandwiches, rice bowls or salad bowls and gluten free flatbreads.
Hmmm, okay. Three words to describe Shredwich: 1. hot (no microwaves). 2. fresh (no freezers) and 3. creative (create your own, you‘re in control).
Strategic Brand Analysis
While the Shredwich management focused on the menus, operations, locations and architectural concepts, CrossRoads focused our energy on a strategic brand assessment. To gain industry trend perspectives, CrossRoads reviewed competitive brands including: Chipotle, ModMarket, Smashburger, Starbucks, Honeygrow and Chopt.
Three brand elements became clearly apparent:
1. The customer is #1. Shredwich must explain its concept and menu quickly, clearly and simply.
2. Many competitors have transitioned, or are in the process of transitioning, their brands into strong, stand-alone icons. A few examples: the Starbucks circle/mermaid, Chili’s pepper and the McDonald’s “M”.
3. A strong, descriptive tagline, or essence statement, will help separate and define Shredwich.
With approval of the strategic brand recommendations, CrossRoads worked with the Shredwich team, including the architects, to create a brand solution built on three core elements:
- A strong overall logo
- A strong icon which can eventually stand alone
- A simple, descriptive essence statement
Our Bold, Spicy, Informative Essence Statement